The month of October is celebrated as ‘Breast Cancer Awareness Month 2022’.
The chances of getting breast cancer increase with age.
Symptoms of breast cancer are lumps, lumps in the breast or underarm.
What is Breast Cancer: The month of October is celebrated as ‘Breast Cancer Awareness Month 2022’. Various programs, events are organized to raise awareness among people about how deadly breast cancer can be. This health event is also called “Pink October”. This is because people around the world adopt pink color as well as display pink ribbons to highlight the importance of early diagnosis, prevention and regular screening of breast cancer. During this annual campaign, various NGOs, people and communities from around the world work together to create awareness and extend their support to the millions of people affected by breast cancer. On the occasion of ‘Breast Cancer Awareness Month’, know what is breast cancer, its symptoms, causes and risk factors.
Read also: Women can do breast cancer screening at home like this, well-known oncologists are telling
What is breast cancer?
Breast cancer is the most common cancer occurring in women. If it is not treated at the right time, it can even lead to death. Breast cancer is the growth of malignant cancer cells in one or both breasts. It is extremely fatal. Breast cancer occurs when the cells present in the breast start to grow uncontrollably. Most breast cancers develop in the cells lining the ducts or in the lobules of the glandular tissue of the breast. There are four stages of breast cancer. If its symptoms are caught in the first stage, then the chances of complete recovery increase significantly. Stage 3 and 4 proves to be quite risky and fatal.
symptoms of breast cancer
cdc.gov According to a report published in the journal, breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women, apart from skin cancer. Mammograms are the best way to detect breast cancer early. If the symptoms of breast cancer are recognized in the early stage, then it becomes easy to treat. Symptoms of breast cancer can be seen as follows-
- Any change in the size of the breast.
- Pain in any part of the breast.
- Liquid discharge other than milk from the nipple.
- A new lump, lump formation in the breast or underarm.
- Change in nipple size, pain or redness.
- Pain, swelling, tightness in breasts.
Read also: Women battling metastatic breast cancer keep themselves positive in these ways
breast cancer risk factors
- The chances of getting breast cancer increase with age.
- Cases of breast cancer are most commonly seen in women aged 50 or above.
- Your risk of breast cancer also increases due to changes in your BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes.
- There is also a risk of it happening due to family history and early onset of periods.
- Late menopause also increases the risk of breast cancer.
- There are also factors like poor lifestyle, unhealthy diet, not exercising, not being physically active.
Breast cancer treatment and screening
Mammogram, ultrasound, biopsy, etc. are used to diagnose breast cancer. Medicines, breast surgery, chemotherapy in advanced cases, radiation therapy, hormonal injections, etc. are given to the patient for treatment.
Breast cancer prevention tips
- Keep your weight under control. Obesity can also increase the risk of breast cancer.
- Avoid excessive consumption of alcohol, smoking etc.
- If you are taking hormone replacement therapy or birth control pills, talk to your doctor about your breast cancer risk.
Tags:, Health, Lifestyle, Women’s Health
FIRST PUBLISHED : October 05, 2022, 15:47 IST